Installing and setting up an DS1005K joystick on Obseron
Last updated: 23rd Sep 2019
These instruction will help with installing and setting up an DS1005K joystick on Obseron. Installation may differ from the instructions because of operating system, Obseron version and/or joystick used.
Obseron with GUI on Windows
PTZ camera configured in Obseron
STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port driver
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
2. Installing the plugin
Before adding the joystick to Obseron, the plugin must be installed
- Download and extract the zip file ("DS1005K_Plugins.zip"), the zip file contains both 32 and 64 bit versions of the plugin
- Navigate to the folder you extracted the zip to, and choose "x86" folder for 32 bit Windows or "x64" folder for 64 bit Windows
- Copy the plugin file to Obseron plugins folder (default: %appdata%\Obseron DVR\Plugins\), create the folder if it does not exist.
3. Checking and verifying the COM port
Joystick must be set to COM port mode for best compatibility. To do this, hold the camera/monitor mode button on the joystick until only one of the LEDs is lit.
- Open Windows Device management from Control Panel and expand Ports section
- DS1005K will show as a "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port" or as a "USB serial device", by default COM3. If the port is not COM3 an additional text file must be created for the plugin.
- If the device is shown as Unknown, please install the STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port driver first. Extract the zip file ("stm32_vcp.zip"), the zip file contains both 32 and 64 bit versions of the driver. Navigate to the folder you extracted the zip to, and run "VCP_V1.3.1_Setup.exe" for 32 bit Windows or "VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe" for 64 bit Windows.
- Create a new file called "ds1005k.txt" in to the Obseron plugins folder (default: %appdata%\Obseron DVR\Plugins\) and type the COM port number in there, for example: COM8 . Ports 1 - 9 are supported, if the joystick gets a higher COM number, it needs to be changed to a port on the supported range. Example file is also included in the plugin zip.
4. Adding and setting the joystick
Start/restart Obseron and open settings to begin adding and setting up the joystick
- Add a new I/O device
- Select device type "DS1005K Keyboard Controller"
- Test your newly added joystick to confirm it is working properly. You should see numbers on "Axis 1 value" and "Axis 2 value" as you turn the joystick and numbers on "Axis 3 value" as you zoom in and out.
- Switch to "Joystick settings" tab and assign "Button 1" to "Keypad number 0" and "Button 2" to "Keypad number 1" and change the "Camera selection digit count" to 4.
- Assign "Select virtual window" to "Button 18 function" and "Select camera" to "Button 19 function".
- Switch back to "Joystick status" tab and test that the numbers are now working in correct order, by pressing numbers "1" "2" "3" "4" and "Enter" on your joystick you should now see "1234" flash in the "Number entry" field and either "Select camera -1" or "Select virtual window 1234" in the "Current action" field depending on which mode your joystick is on.
- Assign camera number from K > Display > Open camera number organizer.
- Open camera window (for example camera number 1)
- Select the camera from joystick by pressing joystick buttons "number 1" + "enter" while in camera mode (Select camera 01).Turn the joystick to confirm it is working properly.